I am well aware that it is wrong to judge the whole group with the actions of just a few. But sociology usually does precisely that. Thus, I have to say, to my extremely limited experience, that japanese men, generally, are among the worst species of the opposite sex.
This is highlighted by the innumerable times where the door slammed into my face after a guy squeezed past me. Trust me, you'll find it alarming due to the frequency.
Then, this unfortunate fact was brought right to my face after a lesson today. This was between a Phd grad, S san and a 2nd year masters student, Y san. The background is that S san had graduated, could not find a job and so, got himself a position somewhat like an teaching assistant in uni. On the other hand, Y san is rushing for her graduation thesis and busy finding a job.
So our project is not really moving forward and S san ANNOUNCED to his friend that he is going to blow his top last week, which he did. Y san, together with 2 other hapless females in the class, were landed with ALL the work. (Nope, I was not one of them) Then today, Y san, in spite of her hectic schedule, put together a proper powerpt presentation. Y san then proceeded to blast it into pieces. Following that, he went to the whiteboard and proceeded to smoke out a proposal from the ashes of Y san's presentation.
Due to a suicidal tendency to create more confusion, they created 3 to 4 versions of the proposal and proceeded to cast votes on the most popular version, of which the people who choosed the most popular version will have to work on the further details. Y san, Eleanor and me ended being the majority who choosed S's smoke. This meant that poor Y has to do most of the work again since both Eleanor and me will not be of much help. Amazingly, dear S did not choose his smoke. And it is quite deliberate since he mentioned that this was rather like the recently ended drama, 'Liar Game'. Personally, I don't mind helping but no matter what, there are still limits to the language. Eleanor bravely spoke of the unfairness of it all. Curiously, the teacher said we three should be doing the work. The lesson ended without a proper conclusion with the teacher saying that he will email us.
Although S was the worst with the unconstructive criticisms and his smoking and shirking of work, the non-action of the rest of the guys in class was just as bad.
Of course, there are some good apples within all the bad, rotting ones. But they are truly few and far between.
Personally, I hate long and wordy entries. I have complained to Teresa that her blog has too much words and too few pics. However, there are just so much to say today. I would like to announce that I think I am the most scantily dressed female in Sapporo. Have been walking around in a camisole (spag top or whatever it is supposed to be called) cos I DO find it hot. Nobody else seems to think so though...
To make matters even worse, the lesson today was conducted in an airtight room. One of the guys did open the window for a few minutes during the break but he closed the window once the lesson has restarted. Perhaps he's afraid of the cold...
As I hate long wordy entries, let me end this with some pics of a cafe I went to:
0 comments