The place where Broadway and musicals are located.
The place where I will begin the next chapter of my nomadic life.
The place where I turn into an eccentric academic out of sync with normality.
NEW YORK.
Welcome.
The place where Broadway and musicals are located.
The place where I will begin the next chapter of my nomadic life.
The place where I turn into an eccentric academic out of sync with normality.
New York.
An aspiring hikikomori/ gomiyashiki owner who will get 3 dogs, 1 cat and a herb
garden when she is in her 40s.
Currently a second year Phd student in East Asian Studies, NYU; a self-proclaimed OTAKU; a
clumsy but avid snowboarder; and absent oneechama of Variel.
8 Sept 2010: West Side Story, WICKED
19 Sept 2010: Chicago
8 Oct 2010: Promises Promises
29 Oct 2010: Matthew Bourne's Swan Lake
14 Nov 2010: American Idiot
18 Jan 2011: Billy Elliot
8 Feb 2011: La Cage Aux Folles
6 Mar 2011: Paul Taylor Dance Group
5 Apr 2011: Catch Me If You Can (Broadway preview)
2 Dec 2011: La Boheme
9 Jan 2012: Rent
22 Mar 2012: Phantom of the Opera
23 May 2012: Avenue Q
26 Sep 2012: Newsies
2 Oct 2012: Turandot
4 Oct 2012: Once
15 Oct 2012: Sleep No More
28 Nov 2012: Lion King
7 Feb 2013: Book of Mormons
14 Mar 2013: Jersey Boys
25 Mar 2013: Sleep No More
21 May 2013: Kinky Boots
26 Sep 2013: Big Fish
Sunday, April 05, 2009
8:26 AM
The circle of my ไปใๅใ with Japan
Just watched Dragonball 'kai' on tv in Japanese in my little room in Sapporo, and felt that I had came a full circle. FYI, the reason I studied Japanese was simply because of my love for anime and manga, and my dislike for reading chinese subtitles. It was more than 15 years ago that I started on my journey to where I am now. It was at a time where all anime subs and manga come in traditional chinese. Actually, I still remembered watching Dragonball in Cantonese. LOL!
Those were the days, where animes were usually aired after midnight or early morning. It was crazy. During my secondary school days, I remember watching Record of the Lodoss War at around 1 or 2am, waking up at 5am to watch Hana yori Dango (Meteor Garden/ anime) with my sibs, then going to school the next day, and mass purchasing whole series of manga in traditional chinese, of which I would discuss the story with my siblings and end up not understanding which characters they were refering to. Cos I can't read their names in the first place! I know I'll sound old, but kids nowadays are so lucky. Everything is available online, with an army of otaku groups ready to translate, sub, scanlate all kinds of animes and mangas. They don't need to go to second hand bookstores to look for cheaper mangas. Or go to a video rental store and rent a LCD (Yes! During my time, it was the huge LCD) to watch an anime in cantonese!
So yes, I was desperate back then. I decided to take Japanese when it became available in NUS. I wouldn't even bother to find a private school to learn this language unless it is something easily within reach. So going into JS was simply putting a check in the list of departments that I wanted to enter. To be honest, sociology was my academic interest. Not JS. And look where that little turn in my path took me. Though living overseas is really quite run-of-the-mill among my high-flyer friends now, I am still glad for my experiences and the people I got to meet and know.
Anyway, a revamped version of Dragonball had just started today. Every Sunday, 9am. It's a pity though.... I can only watch it for four more sundays. Hopefully, it will be available in crunchyroll. I really had a kick out of watching it in Japanese. Knowing the language really doubles the enjoyment. Maybe I really should start learning Korean after going back home!