The place where Broadway and musicals are located.
The place where I will begin the next chapter of my nomadic life.
The place where I turn into an eccentric academic out of sync with normality.
NEW YORK.
Welcome.
The place where Broadway and musicals are located.
The place where I will begin the next chapter of my nomadic life.
The place where I turn into an eccentric academic out of sync with normality.
New York.
An aspiring hikikomori/ gomiyashiki owner who will get 3 dogs, 1 cat and a herb
garden when she is in her 40s.
Currently a second year Phd student in East Asian Studies, NYU; a self-proclaimed OTAKU; a
clumsy but avid snowboarder; and absent oneechama of Variel.
8 Sept 2010: West Side Story, WICKED
19 Sept 2010: Chicago
8 Oct 2010: Promises Promises
29 Oct 2010: Matthew Bourne's Swan Lake
14 Nov 2010: American Idiot
18 Jan 2011: Billy Elliot
8 Feb 2011: La Cage Aux Folles
6 Mar 2011: Paul Taylor Dance Group
5 Apr 2011: Catch Me If You Can (Broadway preview)
2 Dec 2011: La Boheme
9 Jan 2012: Rent
22 Mar 2012: Phantom of the Opera
23 May 2012: Avenue Q
26 Sep 2012: Newsies
2 Oct 2012: Turandot
4 Oct 2012: Once
15 Oct 2012: Sleep No More
28 Nov 2012: Lion King
7 Feb 2013: Book of Mormons
14 Mar 2013: Jersey Boys
25 Mar 2013: Sleep No More
21 May 2013: Kinky Boots
26 Sep 2013: Big Fish
Thursday, November 26, 2009
1:19 AM
Money money money!
Money is the theme of the day!
1) Watched 'Capitalism: A love story' with adeline. I loved it, though I still prefer Sicko. Those familiar with its director, Michael Moore, can already guess the contents of the movie. It is a criticism of the system of capitalism in USA. Theme-wise, there was nothing new. I already know what a skewed system capitalism is, making the rich even richer and the poor much more poorer. However, there were a lot of facts and stories that I did not know of.
As usual, Moore had his antics, when he tried to cordon off AIG, Goldman Sachs, Citibank etc or when he tried to make a citizens arrest on the CEOs of these companies. But honestly, his antics were much watered down as compared to his earlier movies.
Unfortunately, the seats were too near the screen and the first few minutes of the movie was taken by an extremely shaky camera. So it almost gave me a headache from the start!
2) Anyway, it has been on my mind ever since the tv kept advertising about the lego bricks and the 'one singapore' slogan. Rather than brainwashing the poor 99% to give to charity, why don't they get the rich 1% to give up their pieces of gold?? Imagine making the poor primary school kids give up their canteen food for charity and rationalizing it as something good. Another form of capitalism at work here??
3) I gave up my life as an OL and there are no regrets, of course. But I miss the MONEY!!! And the attitude towards spending is, as usual, highlighted by the differences between me and my friends. While forking out 50~100 for a birthday gift is nothing, for a non-student/ non-OL like me, it is a lot. To be honest, I am starting to degenerate back into my NUS days. Think of my attitude towards money and spending as akin to an inverted U chart. Start with my giordano wardrobe, the top will be when I was in citibank and when monbusho was giving me money, end up bottom when I am unemployed.
Of course, I am a generally kiam siap person. I like to see the figures in my bank account jump up. I like to save money. It is what I had been taught since young, when I was given a bank account in primary school. These days, I have been trying to cure myself from this bad habit. Try to be more generous to others and be more kiap siap to myself. Still trying to find a good balance but in the face of all the upcoming expenditures for my applications and Hokkaido trip next year, it is a difficult task. Sometimes, I just feel like giving it all up and be an OL with full pockets.
0 comments