The place where Broadway and musicals are located.
The place where I will begin the next chapter of my nomadic life.
The place where I turn into an eccentric academic out of sync with normality.
NEW YORK.
Welcome.
The place where Broadway and musicals are located.
The place where I will begin the next chapter of my nomadic life.
The place where I turn into an eccentric academic out of sync with normality.
New York.
An aspiring hikikomori/ gomiyashiki owner who will get 3 dogs, 1 cat and a herb
garden when she is in her 40s.
Currently a second year Phd student in East Asian Studies, NYU; a self-proclaimed OTAKU; a
clumsy but avid snowboarder; and absent oneechama of Variel.
8 Sept 2010: West Side Story, WICKED
19 Sept 2010: Chicago
8 Oct 2010: Promises Promises
29 Oct 2010: Matthew Bourne's Swan Lake
14 Nov 2010: American Idiot
18 Jan 2011: Billy Elliot
8 Feb 2011: La Cage Aux Folles
6 Mar 2011: Paul Taylor Dance Group
5 Apr 2011: Catch Me If You Can (Broadway preview)
2 Dec 2011: La Boheme
9 Jan 2012: Rent
22 Mar 2012: Phantom of the Opera
23 May 2012: Avenue Q
26 Sep 2012: Newsies
2 Oct 2012: Turandot
4 Oct 2012: Once
15 Oct 2012: Sleep No More
28 Nov 2012: Lion King
7 Feb 2013: Book of Mormons
14 Mar 2013: Jersey Boys
25 Mar 2013: Sleep No More
21 May 2013: Kinky Boots
26 Sep 2013: Big Fish
Tuesday, June 01, 2010
6:02 PM
Fading relationships and lost opportunities
I am supposed to blog on SATC2, of which I had already saved a half-typed draft. But here I am, musing about fading relationships and lost opportunities.
Let's begin with my lost opportunities. That darned BTMU actually indicated an interest in employing me for the next two months, thus raising my hopes for an at least $30/hr (5k per mth!) temp job. So I rejected my dishy EA games offer and a well-paid offer as an interpreter in a 4 days conference. Then, BTMU actually had the temerity to dole out a measly $18.20/hr offer!!??!! I am usually too polite to swear but WTF! I clearly stated during the interview that an hour of my highly professional presence will cost them $32~35. What a letdown!! What a bunch of lost opportunities/money/gaming time! To look on the bright side, I am latching on to my olde JTB Hokkaido baito. There's gonna be a Hokkaido or Japan fair at Isetan Scotts and Tampines again!!
And onto fading relationships. Yes, I am a Christian, albeit an incredibly lazy one. And I am definitely not a throw my religion IN YOUR FACE one. For the record, I am also an honest one. Yes, I went to church quite regularly while I was in Sapporo and one of the reasons was because I was looking for a community with (somewhat) shared views. And yes, I am not frequenting a church in Singapore cos I can't find one that I like and I am not in a foreign country. Yes, I am slightly embarrassed by my usage of religion to fulfill such selfish purpose as to find a community (though that is the selling point for religions anyway). But I can also say that without God, I will not be the person I am now. And I am truly sorry for my seriously inert butt that refuses to move every Sunday even as my brain kept nagging, 'You need to go!'.
However, in the light of various fading relationships with friends who frequented my Sapporo church with me, I do wonder, are we really friends or was our friendship built upon the institution called a 'church'. Or mayhaps it was alike the relationship cultivated with project-mates during one semester in NUS, doomed to fade into a 'hi! bye!' conversation when we happen upon each other. Can we find no points of commonality without a 'project' to hold us together? Or perhaps what my Sapporo pastor said is true.. Christians only become better people by hanging out with christians. Unfortunately, that was the same service where I brought a non-believer friend along and she was so offended. LOL!
Anyway, this is just some tiny snacks for thought. I am not pointing any fingers or drawing any inferences from any action committed upon me. Even if relationships fade, fond memories of us will remain.
0 comments