Name: Roslynn
Home:
See my complete profile
Updated: Friday, 23 Jul 2010, 10:48 PM EDT
Published : Friday, 23 Jul 2010, 10:48 PM EDT
She's a former sushi waitress turned You Tube phenom. When Michelle Phan posts a new make-up tutorial on her You Tube channel, thousands get online to get her latest look.
"When I uploaded my first video, I thought I'm just going to help a bunch of people with their make up and still to this day, that's what I really want to do," Phan said.
From creating a seductive, smoky eye to applying make up on a plane, Phan helps legions of fans put their best face forward. Her publicist says she's rapidly closing on 200 million views for all her videos.
She does it all from the comfort of home, using a small, hand-held video camera with her big screen TV as the backdrop. She does it all from start to finish, editing on her Mac Book pro while seated at her dining room table.
"I film it. I put the music in it. I edit it. I put a lot of time and thought into it. I want to craft it until it becomes like a perfect sculpture, then display it for everyone to see," she says.
As her videos took off, she realized she was on to something, and decided school could wait.
"I finally decided, maybe I should just take a shot. What do I have to lose? School is always here. you Tube may be once in a lifetime, so I took that chance," she says.
It was after the Lady Gaga video that she knew this was going to be big -- really big. Well over 17 million hits and still growing!
"Every time I check it, it just keeps going up. It's crazy. I just can't even imagine it."
She also couldn't imagine that Lancome Cosmetics would come calling, making her the company's first video make up artist. That has landed her in popular magazines, including the flagship of the fashion and beauty world: Vogue.
"I grew up reading Vogue. In a million years I never thought I would end up being in Vogue!"
Phan just moved from the Bay area to Los Angeles to—in her words—"pursue the Hollywood dream" and expand her brand. She already has her own line of make up brushes with cosmetics to follow at some point. There's even talk of a TV show in the works.
Her advice for young people still trying to figure out what they should do?
"Follow your passion," she says.
It sure seems to be working for her.
| FreeCounter |
|---|

