The place where Broadway and musicals are located.
The place where I will begin the next chapter of my nomadic life.
The place where I turn into an eccentric academic out of sync with normality.
NEW YORK.
Welcome.
The place where Broadway and musicals are located.
The place where I will begin the next chapter of my nomadic life.
The place where I turn into an eccentric academic out of sync with normality.
New York.
An aspiring hikikomori/ gomiyashiki owner who will get 3 dogs, 1 cat and a herb
garden when she is in her 40s.
Currently a second year Phd student in East Asian Studies, NYU; a self-proclaimed OTAKU; a
clumsy but avid snowboarder; and absent oneechama of Variel.
8 Sept 2010: West Side Story, WICKED
19 Sept 2010: Chicago
8 Oct 2010: Promises Promises
29 Oct 2010: Matthew Bourne's Swan Lake
14 Nov 2010: American Idiot
18 Jan 2011: Billy Elliot
8 Feb 2011: La Cage Aux Folles
6 Mar 2011: Paul Taylor Dance Group
5 Apr 2011: Catch Me If You Can (Broadway preview)
2 Dec 2011: La Boheme
9 Jan 2012: Rent
22 Mar 2012: Phantom of the Opera
23 May 2012: Avenue Q
26 Sep 2012: Newsies
2 Oct 2012: Turandot
4 Oct 2012: Once
15 Oct 2012: Sleep No More
28 Nov 2012: Lion King
7 Feb 2013: Book of Mormons
14 Mar 2013: Jersey Boys
25 Mar 2013: Sleep No More
21 May 2013: Kinky Boots
26 Sep 2013: Big Fish
Friday, August 13, 2010
12:08 AM
The Cuckoo
I just had an epiphany while washing my hair with Asience Shine Therapy Shampoo. According to Kiki, I will need to bring hair products to the States cos most of the products there won't suit asian hair. I am currently torn between having Asience or Tsubaki pay homage to my flowing tresses. But I digress...
WHO SAYS I HAVE TO LIVE WITH MY PARENTS?
This is the trap for all who are simultaneously unmarried and afflicted with incipient threat of middle-age population in Singapore. We are such a small country that living with parents is a taken for granted fact. The only time you consider moving out is when you decide to apply for that quintessential HDB flat with your partner. And maybe even then, you will utilize it as extra income while still leeching on the generosity inherent within the nature of most (but not all, of course) parents. Even though familial relationships are characterized by a continuous flow of give and take, is there a need to continue demanding love in the form of material objects from your parents after your 20s?
NO!!!
Perhaps this epiphany was a result of a chat with Adeline and Huijun at JCO donuts. I was regaling them with the story of this cuckoo spinster (or bachelorette as Adeline insisted. I prefer to define her as old auntie) who is a tenant of my mum's shophouse in Yishun. This cuckoo lady manages a small flower shop filled with dusty fake flowers and a small fridge of fresh ones. Her companions consist of a radio crooning Chinese tunes and an elderly fan. Her cuckoo-ness reached the peak when she called my mum at least 20 times within a day to request for a decrease in the pavement space allocated to the shop. My mum was seriously pissed as my father decided to start on his hobby early in the afternoon (kiao ka-ing with his buddy, Tiger beer), leaving her alone to tend the shop. Already in a bad mood, she wasn't receptive to the cuckoo's request. However, the poor cuckoo does not know how to take no for an answer and proceeded to harass my mum with phone calls. Even though my mum was screaming 'NO' at her.
I was telling A and H that I might transform into a cuckoo during my dotage. Although the above was an extreme case, most single women turn slightly crazy as their biological clocks starts winding down. H kindly told me that I will be single and spectacular in Manhattan. So I am safe from cuckoo-ization for the time being.
Even if I do turn into a cuckoo, I do not want to be a cuckoo who waits for her parents to give her a little room (with no en-suite bathroom, no less!) on the third floor. What the heck?!?! I will be a spectacular ex-New Yorker cuckoo with her own sweet little pad in sunny Singapore. But I intend to look at condo units to rent or buy. As a future cuckoo, it is my prerogative to deny the gahmen my own hard-earn money and NOT buy an un-subsidized flat. Like what my aunt said (yes, she is my model cuckoo), 'I will not be penalized for singlehood!'