So many things to blog about, so little time!!!
To start, let me tell you about how it feels to click 'refresh' on my life.
It means to start from scratch, and this time, I have a clearer idea of what I want to buy for my home away from home. It also means that I am more laid-back and not so obsessed with absolute perfection. I am still coughing away, but I am out of the closet with regards to my condition. I inform everybody upfront on the details of my malady and take care to separate utensils during meals. My rickety bed is still missing several nuts and bolts, but I don't mind waiting forever for the management to come and work on it.
It also means to start from scratch in terms of relationships. I am at a severe disadvantage among the population of Singaporean students here as I am not a privileged kid from RJC, ACJC, and I am not studying at NYU's world famous business school, Stern. Which places me pretty much out of the loop.
I am slightly more hopeful with the rest of the international and local students, and Singaporean students who are out not ex-RJC/ ex-ACJC or current Stern. But there is a certain tendency for ang-mohs to wax lyrical about their own country and countries that they are more familiar or interested in. Clearly, SEA or even East Asia are not prominent spheres of interest for them. At least they are not 19 year old kid whose best friend is either a RJC/ACJC/Stern or their blackberry/android/iphone.
However, I am still looking for deep and enduring friendships. And this time, not purely out of a material need for possible places to stay when traveling overseas.
As for my apartment-mate, she is easy to get along with and being the same age helps a lot. Unfortunately, she is terribly busy with her studies and, to the disappointment of both of us, has no time to explore the city with me.
Just like my life in Sapporo, I am pretty much left to my own devices. I have yet to see anybody from my department and worse still, yet to see a penny of the scholarship money that I am supposed to get.
However, all in good time... all in good time...
0 comments