The place where Broadway and musicals are located.
The place where I will begin the next chapter of my nomadic life.
The place where I turn into an eccentric academic out of sync with normality.
NEW YORK.
Welcome.
The place where Broadway and musicals are located.
The place where I will begin the next chapter of my nomadic life.
The place where I turn into an eccentric academic out of sync with normality.
New York.
An aspiring hikikomori/ gomiyashiki owner who will get 3 dogs, 1 cat and a herb
garden when she is in her 40s.
Currently a second year Phd student in East Asian Studies, NYU; a self-proclaimed OTAKU; a
clumsy but avid snowboarder; and absent oneechama of Variel.
8 Sept 2010: West Side Story, WICKED
19 Sept 2010: Chicago
8 Oct 2010: Promises Promises
29 Oct 2010: Matthew Bourne's Swan Lake
14 Nov 2010: American Idiot
18 Jan 2011: Billy Elliot
8 Feb 2011: La Cage Aux Folles
6 Mar 2011: Paul Taylor Dance Group
5 Apr 2011: Catch Me If You Can (Broadway preview)
2 Dec 2011: La Boheme
9 Jan 2012: Rent
22 Mar 2012: Phantom of the Opera
23 May 2012: Avenue Q
26 Sep 2012: Newsies
2 Oct 2012: Turandot
4 Oct 2012: Once
15 Oct 2012: Sleep No More
28 Nov 2012: Lion King
7 Feb 2013: Book of Mormons
14 Mar 2013: Jersey Boys
25 Mar 2013: Sleep No More
21 May 2013: Kinky Boots
26 Sep 2013: Big Fish
Tuesday, October 12, 2010
4:20 AM
Over the Top BUSY
I know I am guilty of not blogging much but this hectic schedule is really getting crazy. Worse, on top of my studies, I am baito-ing with JTB again. Some extra cash, even if it is in yen, will definitely help me a LOT because I have just confirmed that Singapore has NO treaty with USA regarding tax exemptions. So I am being taxed 14% on my stipend. That is more than US$3000 per year. I know this happens when you move to a new country but I am gaining a fresh and very deep appreciation of Japan. Even if I stay true to my stingy nature, scrimp and save every penny (yes, they really call it a penny here!), I will barely get by. This SUCKS! To think that I was proudly telling everybody just how convenient a Singapore citizenship is. I think I will draft a letter to MFA and complain to them.
Yes, I am enjoying this constant flexing of my grey matter. But as I study at my fav spot at 10th floor Bobst Library, which overlooks a small portion of Washington Square Park, I find myself missing the leisure-filled days in Sapporo. From here (yes, I am at my fav spot NOW), I can see people sunning themselves, walking their dogs or simply chatting with friends while sitting on the benches. With the perfect temperature of 24 degrees, the sun must feel heavenly.
Back in Sapporo, I could literally stop and smell the flowers. My days were not simply filled with drinking parties. I spend my days cycling to supermarkets or shopping centers with Variel to do some shopping, bringing Variel for a picnic at Oodori park, and going for walks around the neighbourhood. Picnics with Variel was wasn't terribly fun and exciting. But it was peaceful and enjoyable. Basically, there was a surplus of time to simply let the time fly by.