The place where Broadway and musicals are located.
The place where I will begin the next chapter of my nomadic life.
The place where I turn into an eccentric academic out of sync with normality.
NEW YORK.
Welcome.
The place where Broadway and musicals are located.
The place where I will begin the next chapter of my nomadic life.
The place where I turn into an eccentric academic out of sync with normality.
New York.
An aspiring hikikomori/ gomiyashiki owner who will get 3 dogs, 1 cat and a herb
garden when she is in her 40s.
Currently a second year Phd student in East Asian Studies, NYU; a self-proclaimed OTAKU; a
clumsy but avid snowboarder; and absent oneechama of Variel.
8 Sept 2010: West Side Story, WICKED
19 Sept 2010: Chicago
8 Oct 2010: Promises Promises
29 Oct 2010: Matthew Bourne's Swan Lake
14 Nov 2010: American Idiot
18 Jan 2011: Billy Elliot
8 Feb 2011: La Cage Aux Folles
6 Mar 2011: Paul Taylor Dance Group
5 Apr 2011: Catch Me If You Can (Broadway preview)
2 Dec 2011: La Boheme
9 Jan 2012: Rent
22 Mar 2012: Phantom of the Opera
23 May 2012: Avenue Q
26 Sep 2012: Newsies
2 Oct 2012: Turandot
4 Oct 2012: Once
15 Oct 2012: Sleep No More
28 Nov 2012: Lion King
7 Feb 2013: Book of Mormons
14 Mar 2013: Jersey Boys
25 Mar 2013: Sleep No More
21 May 2013: Kinky Boots
26 Sep 2013: Big Fish
Monday, November 22, 2010
2:16 PM
The children of Africa
Remember how your mum always tell you to finish your food. We shouldn't waste it cos 'think of the poor kids in Africa who don't even get to eat your kailan!' I mean, we are well-educated individuals who enjoy the benefits of living in the first (or almost first) world, churn out more trash than we can burn, eat macdonald and KFC. Even while we savor our capitalistic lifestyle, we do know that the kids in Africa are starving. Some of you might know that AIDS runs rampant in some villages. Kids are not only starving to death, they are dying from illnesses that could easily be cured if they have the same access to all the immunization shots like us.
So yes. We know and we are thankful. Aren't we?
I am pretty shocked by what my roomie said. So she is unhappy over her declining grades and inability to catch up with her work. So she knows that she shouldn't compare herself to her classmates. In a vain attempt to cheer her up, I said the well-repeated mantra of my mum, 'Well, it is terrible to say this, but at least you are better off than the kids in Africa.'
Believe it or not... she said that who knows, those kids might be better off than her!!! She did go on to say that they might have a happy family, though I am not saying that my family or even yours (that's me) is not happy too. I didn't know what she was thinking. Did she think that they are happy with their 'simple' life, free from the stress of Economics and Maths?
Erm... I am not sure... but I think they are not suffering from stress. Maybe suffering from hunger and diseases though. Oh, their mum and baby sister might also be dying from AIDS. But that's nothing compared to your stress. Haiz.... no, I am not that snide. I was too shocked. I think I did say something like those kids should be more concerned over the lack of their next meal... or something.
How negative can one be? To the point that you can say poor, disease ridden, starving kids are better off. Have you never seen the images of them, with their bloated stomach and flies on their bodies? I sincerely hope that not all Americans have such myopic viewpoint of the world. And though I complain that Japanese need to learn their history, Americans should also remember that their wealth (and maybe half their population) are forcibly taken from Africa.