The place where Broadway and musicals are located.
The place where I will begin the next chapter of my nomadic life.
The place where I turn into an eccentric academic out of sync with normality.
NEW YORK.
Welcome.
The place where Broadway and musicals are located.
The place where I will begin the next chapter of my nomadic life.
The place where I turn into an eccentric academic out of sync with normality.
New York.
An aspiring hikikomori/ gomiyashiki owner who will get 3 dogs, 1 cat and a herb
garden when she is in her 40s.
Currently a second year Phd student in East Asian Studies, NYU; a self-proclaimed OTAKU; a
clumsy but avid snowboarder; and absent oneechama of Variel.
8 Sept 2010: West Side Story, WICKED
19 Sept 2010: Chicago
8 Oct 2010: Promises Promises
29 Oct 2010: Matthew Bourne's Swan Lake
14 Nov 2010: American Idiot
18 Jan 2011: Billy Elliot
8 Feb 2011: La Cage Aux Folles
6 Mar 2011: Paul Taylor Dance Group
5 Apr 2011: Catch Me If You Can (Broadway preview)
2 Dec 2011: La Boheme
9 Jan 2012: Rent
22 Mar 2012: Phantom of the Opera
23 May 2012: Avenue Q
26 Sep 2012: Newsies
2 Oct 2012: Turandot
4 Oct 2012: Once
15 Oct 2012: Sleep No More
28 Nov 2012: Lion King
7 Feb 2013: Book of Mormons
14 Mar 2013: Jersey Boys
25 Mar 2013: Sleep No More
21 May 2013: Kinky Boots
26 Sep 2013: Big Fish
Tuesday, December 21, 2010
1:11 PM
Constipated paper writing
Yes, I shouldn't be here. Especially after being so distracted for the past few hours. 10 more pages for a paper due in less than 2 days. In my usual NUS days, I wouldn't be so stressed. Paper writing wasn't such an arduous exercise in the past. I was able to finish 15 pages in one night.
But these days, the stakes are so much higher. Writing a paper in grad school is extremely difficult, in the sense that I give the stress to myself. Cos I know the dos and don'ts of writing, and thus, am compelled to write in the standard of someone who has 6 years of paper writing experience behind me. I aim to be coherent and not write in a bombastic manner in order to obfuscate the issue and pretend to be cheem. And these days, I tend to add a little bit of myself into my writings. In other words, I don't want to be totally impersonal. I want my reader to hear ME speaking, cos this paper is written from MY perspective. This is a delicate balance, because this is still an academic exercise. However, gone are the days where we academics stand in our lofty ivory towers and pronounce our writings the truth, and nothing but the whole truth. Relativity happened.
Is this why writing became such a painful process? Everybody else seems to be having a much easier time. I sometimes start to question: Am I really suited for this???