It had been a very eventful AND uneventful year for me. Of course, there was my one month winter trip to Hokkaido and Seoul. It was wonderful and memorable. I learnt lots of new stuff during that trip, including some that I do not really want to know, but I would like to think that I became a wiser person because of it.
This was one of the year where I find myself the furthest from God, thus leading to me getting pretty lost here and there. But this was also the year where I learnt what the true mettle of friendship is about. Yes, we might have not so perfect families, boyfriends, husbands, and we know that we are not perfect people ourselves. In spite of all that, we still love and accept each other. More importantly, we support and recognize each other for who we were, are and will be in the future. For that, I want to thank you.
Then, there were the extremely uneventful months I spent in Bedok, before leaving for NYC. For all her bitchiness, I guess I must also thank my sister for forcing me out of my aunt's place, and my aunt's nonchalance in the face of my unhappiness. For without that, I would not have spent my days having breakfast with my parents at various kopitiams and markets around Bedok. In retrospect, I never really had much chance to be with them due to my incessant travelling and my love for the quiet and peace of my aunt's place. Even though my mum tends to 重男轻女, this was the way she was brought up and I still love her. And exploring the different food stalls in Bedok was damn shiok!
I had been a glorified NEET for more than one year, working odd jobs at Ernst & Young, EA Games, Disney Regional meeting and my JTB Hokkaido baito. And now, I am a glorified grad student in NYU, moaning about how NYC cannot measure up to the impossible high standards of Sapporo. I never had any illusions on the grandeur of NYC or Manhattan, even though I do experience a mild euphoria when I hear The Empire State of Mind.
As for my life in NYC... no, I do not miss Singapore, not even the food! That might be because I miss Variel more than anything. It sort of overtakes anything else that I miss. Sometimes, I think that it is wrong to invest so much love into an animal that can only live for 15 to 20 years.
Ok, enough of my musings. It is now 2011 in Singapore and Japan. I am officially THIRTY ONE YEARS OLD!!! (Muah ha ha ha! Face it ladies! Early thirties, here we come!)
Oh, I leave you with a webcast of Times Square Countdown. No, I am not brave enough to face the crowd but will enjoy this webcast while having a potluck party with some friends at home.
0 comments